Code Enforcement

Code Enforcement plays an important role in providing a safe and healthy environment for our community. The City Council has adopted ordinances to protect and preserve our neighborhoods. The role of each code enforcement officer is to enforce city ordinances thereby, bringing properties in violation into compliance. Each officer is assigned to a district for the purpose of developing rapport with area residents and local businesses. This allows them to better understand the histories, challenges, and concerns of their assigned neighborhood thereby being equipped to understand compliance issues specific to these neighborhoods. 

Typical Code Violations that are investigated by our Code Enforcement include:

  • Inoperable vehicles
  • Weeds
  • Junk, Trash, and Debris
  • Setback violations
  • Sign Violations


Please visit our Citizen Serve Portal Here
to submit Code Enforcement request. Thank you

Submit a Code Enforcement Request Here

Code Enforcement Frequent Questions

What is an inoperable vehicle?
A vehicle that appears not to be in working order. Such as but not limited to, missing tires, dismantled parts, no interior or steering wheel.
Where can I park my RV?
Recreational vehicles may be parked on your driveway as long as it is not obstructing a public sidewalk or street. It may not be parked in the front setback or identified landscape area. A typical front set back is 25'. Keep in mind that a corner lot has 2 front setbacks.  It may also be parked on the side of your home, out of the front setback. The area must be consistent with Parking Lot Standards such as concrete pad, asphalt or gravel.
What does the city consider junk?
Only items that are intended to be used outdoors may be stored outside. You cannot have couches, mattresses, etc. outside. No dismantled vehicle parts may be stored outside the home. Abandoned items must be discarded.
At what point must I cut the weeds on my property?
Weeds must not be allowed to overgrow to a height in excess of six inches (6"). Tall dry grass should also be cut to minimize hazards. Noxious weeds must be removed.
How can I advertise my yard sale?
You may post a sign on your own property or with permission the property of a neighbor. You may place a sign on a box near the sidewalk but not obstructing the use of the sidewalk. These signs must be removed when your sale is over. It is against City ordinance to post signs on City property i.e. power poles, street signs, power boxes or in City streets. Not only does this damage the property it also becomes a safety issue. 
Can I rent my home on a short term basis?
The City only allows short term rentals in designated areas. Short term rentals (less than 28 days) are not allowed in single family zones. 
What does the City require for long term rentals?
You will need a business license if you are renting your home. If you live outside of Washington County you will also need a contact person. This contact person can be the renter or a friend or relative. You do not need to hire a property management company. An inspection of the property is required if you rent more than 2 dwellings. Contact the Business License department at 435-627-4740.
Can the Code Enforcement Officer go on my property?
The officers normally take pictures of violations from the sidewalk or street. However, if needed they can go onto the property. They will not go in an enclosed back yard without permission from the owner but they might take a picture over the fence.
What is the setback area?
There is generally a 25' area in the front of your home that is considered the front setback. In Bloomington Hills this area is 20'. A corner lot has 2 front setbacks. One on each side of the home that borders the road. You cannot park your vehicle in the area that should be landscaped.
What kinds of signs or banners can I use to advertise my business?
There are many factors to consider when placing signs and banners for advertising, please contact the Community Development Department for questions about signage. They can be reached at 435-627-4712 
Can I have chickens or rabbits at my home?
The City allows Urban hens and rabbits – Up to 6 adult hens and 4 adult rabbits per 1,000 sf of lot area – No more than 16 animals per lot, up to 10 rabbits. Go to city ordinace 10-7B-2 for more information.
Do I need a permit to install a fence or wall on my property?
Yes, a permit is required. For more information on approved fences, walls, and the regulations that govern installation, please see City ordinance Title. 10-18-1.
How many dogs can I have in the City?
The City allows 2 dogs per residence, If you are having problems with dogs in your neighborhood call animal control at 435-627-4350
Are there laws regarding cargo containers?
Cargo containers may be approved by the city for temporary use by an applicant, only when a permitted use exists or is under construction, and under the following standards: During permitted construction or renovation; provided, a building permit has been issued for construction-related activities. During moving or on-site construction activities that do not require a permit for thirty (30) days.